The War
Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 11:07 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 999
Location: Houston, Texas
Haha it's been awhile since I saw that 20!!

_________________
-Leader of the DAP
-Head of Transportation
-Guinea Pig for the Entire NZG
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:30 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
Glad to see someone shares my ambitious ideas. :) Imho, explosives in games don't feel nearly as exciting (cinematic if you want) as I feel they could. There is no kind of "oh shit, that's thats an rpg!" feeling you get in big hollywood blockbusters like black hawk down. My hope is that alliance can recreate the intensity of a firefight in those kinds of movies.

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:59 pm
Posts: 1027
Location: Houston, TX
#//neostyles.CD wrote:
Glad to see someone shares my ambitious ideas. :) Imho, explosives in games don't feel nearly as exciting (cinematic if you want) as I feel they could. There is no kind of "oh shit, that's thats an rpg!" feeling you get in big hollywood blockbusters like black hawk down. My hope is that alliance can recreate the intensity of a firefight in those kinds of movies.

Personally with Alliance I hope its "oh shit they have anti tank rifles and webleys!" :mrgreen:
I hope that the concussion and sheer tearing of the air caused by muzzle blasts comes through crystal clear. How neat would it be to have the first game that 'forced' the player to turn up the volume in order to hear footsteps due to Non-gunshots being whispers in comparison, thereby making any resulting gunfights quite terrifying. If anyones played Project Reality they can testify to how intensely powerful the firefights sound with the sound cranked up.

Bigdaddy wrote:
Haha it's been awhile since I saw that 20!!

Alliance needs it! That or the NTW-20 with its 14.5mm capability o:


Any chance of 20MM buckshot rounds being included?

_________________
Image
"Dream a little bit
This is the kush to your lighter"

The NZG Specialist, Stick Wielder, Shotgun Extraordinaire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:16 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
Spiffinz wrote:
Personally with Alliance I hope its "oh shit they have anti tank rifles and webleys!" :mrgreen:


YES.

There's a mod for Red Orchestra (the steam version), called Mare Nostrum which is meant to be a Mediterranean version of the classic Red Orchestra. So instead of Russians vs. Germans, it's British or Commonwealth forces against Germans or Italians. One of my favourite things to do in the game is set up in a window and just knock down Germans with a Boys .55 AT Rifle. Ultimately satisfying.

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:25 pm 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
Spiffinz wrote:
I hope that the concussion and sheer tearing of the air caused by muzzle blasts comes through crystal clear. How neat would it be to have the first game that 'forced' the player to turn up the volume in order to hear footsteps due to Non-gunshots being whispers in comparison, thereby making any resulting gunfights quite terrifying.

That's one of my pet peeves as well. I hate that gun sounds and footsteps (as well as other game sounds) are normalized to actually be very close in volume for most games. It's fine if a footstep sounds loud if there are NO other sounds going on, but the moment lead starts flying, little else should be audible. You should be able to mimic this (without blowing out people's eardrums) by scaling all sounds down relative to the loudest sound that's recently played.

_________________
Alliance Developer, Sox34's not-so-secret identity, & NZG Central Command
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur." — Unknown Philosopher


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:13 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
Bad company 1/2 did something like this and it was amazing.

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
I remember playing DoD 1.3 against Bigdaddy and his CAL-I team, and they were all professional footstep listeners. Couldn't move an inch without them picking me up immediately and destroying me.

It's amazing how you can have rifle and machine gun fire going on around you and yet you can still hear footsteps half the map away :x

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:49 pm 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 999
Location: Houston, Texas
DerMann wrote:
I remember playing DoD 1.3 against Bigdaddy and his CAL-I team, and they were all professional footstep listeners. Couldn't move an inch without them picking me up immediately and destroying me.

It's amazing how you can have rifle and machine gun fire going on around you and yet you can still hear footsteps half the map away :x

Haha sound Whore ftw haha. It didn't help any that my reaction time in that game was ridiculous. I still remember crashing a server because I got 300 kills haha.

_________________
-Leader of the DAP
-Head of Transportation
-Guinea Pig for the Entire NZG
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:59 pm
Posts: 1027
Location: Houston, TX
AllianceEric wrote:
Spiffinz wrote:
I hope that the concussion and sheer tearing of the air caused by muzzle blasts comes through crystal clear. How neat would it be to have the first game that 'forced' the player to turn up the volume in order to hear footsteps due to Non-gunshots being whispers in comparison, thereby making any resulting gunfights quite terrifying.

That's one of my pet peeves as well. I hate that gun sounds and footsteps (as well as other game sounds) are normalized to actually be very close in volume for most games. It's fine if a footstep sounds loud if there are NO other sounds going on, but the moment lead starts flying, little else should be audible. You should be able to mimic this (without blowing out people's eardrums) by scaling all sounds down relative to the loudest sound that's recently played.


Exactly what I was thinking. Though itd be nice to still give people with the high end audio setups the option to blow their ears out if they want 8-) :lol:
Would some sort of delayed return of audible footsteps be possible? like for a min after shooting a mag in a house things are vaugely muted with no footsteps

Bigdaddy wrote:
DerMann wrote:
I remember playing DoD 1.3 against Bigdaddy and his CAL-I team, and they were all professional footstep listeners. Couldn't move an inch without them picking me up immediately and destroying me.

It's amazing how you can have rifle and machine gun fire going on around you and yet you can still hear footsteps half the map away :x

Haha sound Whore ftw haha. It didn't help any that my reaction time in that game was ridiculous. I still remember crashing a server because I got 300 kills haha.


Yes yes yes we all know you went to Cali for CAL Bigdaddy xD you probably turned off the background audio in 1.3 too haha
we'll see whats up once Alliance comes out though....

_________________
Image
"Dream a little bit
This is the kush to your lighter"

The NZG Specialist, Stick Wielder, Shotgun Extraordinaire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 am 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
Spiffinz wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. Though itd be nice to still give people with the high end audio setups the option to blow their ears out if they want 8-) :lol:
Would some sort of delayed return of audible footsteps be possible? like for a min after shooting a mag in a house things are vaugely muted with no footsteps

That's roughly how I plan on implementing it. Any sound that's too loud as compared to your current normal hearing range would increase your hearing window, such that it is the new "high" and everything else is scaled down accordingly. The speed with which your hearing returns to a normal range will have to be fine tuned until it feels right, but it won't be an immediate drop back down.

_________________
Alliance Developer, Sox34's not-so-secret identity, & NZG Central Command
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur." — Unknown Philosopher


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 am 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:59 pm
Posts: 1027
Location: Houston, TX
AllianceEric wrote:
Spiffinz wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. Though itd be nice to still give people with the high end audio setups the option to blow their ears out if they want 8-) :lol:
Would some sort of delayed return of audible footsteps be possible? like for a min after shooting a mag in a house things are vaugely muted with no footsteps

That's roughly how I plan on implementing it. Any sound that's too loud as compared to your current normal hearing range would increase your hearing window, such that it is the new "high" and everything else is scaled down accordingly. The speed with which your hearing returns to a normal range will have to be fine tuned until it feels right, but it won't be an immediate drop back down.


That sounds pretty solid, good to hear

_________________
Image
"Dream a little bit
This is the kush to your lighter"

The NZG Specialist, Stick Wielder, Shotgun Extraordinaire


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 999
Location: Houston, Texas
Spiffinz wrote:
AllianceEric wrote:
Spiffinz wrote:
I hope that the concussion and sheer tearing of the air caused by muzzle blasts comes through crystal clear. How neat would it be to have the first game that 'forced' the player to turn up the volume in order to hear footsteps due to Non-gunshots being whispers in comparison, thereby making any resulting gunfights quite terrifying.

That's one of my pet peeves as well. I hate that gun sounds and footsteps (as well as other game sounds) are normalized to actually be very close in volume for most games. It's fine if a footstep sounds loud if there are NO other sounds going on, but the moment lead starts flying, little else should be audible. You should be able to mimic this (without blowing out people's eardrums) by scaling all sounds down relative to the loudest sound that's recently played.


Exactly what I was thinking. Though itd be nice to still give people with the high end audio setups the option to blow their ears out if they want 8-) :lol:
Would some sort of delayed return of audible footsteps be possible? like for a min after shooting a mag in a house things are vaugely muted with no footsteps

Bigdaddy wrote:
DerMann wrote:
I remember playing DoD 1.3 against Bigdaddy and his CAL-I team, and they were all professional footstep listeners. Couldn't move an inch without them picking me up immediately and destroying me.

It's amazing how you can have rifle and machine gun fire going on around you and yet you can still hear footsteps half the map away :x

Haha sound Whore ftw haha. It didn't help any that my reaction time in that game was ridiculous. I still remember crashing a server because I got 300 kills haha.


Yes yes yes we all know you went to Cali for CAL Bigdaddy xD you probably turned off the background audio in 1.3 too haha
we'll see whats up once Alliance comes out though....


I went to cali for newegg tourny for DODS not 1.3 lol. But i still sound whored in source it was just much more difficult.

_________________
-Leader of the DAP
-Head of Transportation
-Guinea Pig for the Entire NZG
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
Im only using using a creative i-trigue 3200 speaker set (4 years old probably) but it still threatens to blow out my ear drums every time i touch the volume control. :)

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:00 am 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 999
Location: Houston, Texas
#//neostyles.CD wrote:
Im only using using a creative i-trigue 3200 speaker set (4 years old probably) but it still threatens to blow out my ear drums every time i touch the volume control. :)


A very good headset will change your gaming experience completely. I had a pair of Siberian Icemat's that made it soo much better. Those headphones were the exact reason I could hear everything on the map. Or be able to hear so much in a game period. Speakers don't focus the sound as well has a headset. I remember I spent $100 on that particular headset...and then my sponser sent me the same pair the following week XD. Also got another razer copperhead lol.

_________________
-Leader of the DAP
-Head of Transportation
-Guinea Pig for the Entire NZG
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
The problem with headsets (atleast for me) is I feel like im a bubble. With normal speakers, I feel like I can still be aware of what is happening around me (say for example, the water is boiling), but a head set makes me feel "zoned out."

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
Get a good headset, then.

A good head set is best for gaming. Speakers can't touch 'em.

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:27 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
How cool would it be if alliance featured the smallest gun ever seen in a game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GAO9nz9 ... re=related

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 am 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
Not very :\

I imagine you'd die a lot

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:27 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
Unless everyone else was carrying one. ;) I see your mini revolver and raise you one mini canon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4g_U0hoOg

Actually very powerful for it's size. :shock:

This guy apparently has a full channel full of fully functional miniature weapons.. including a certain mosin nagant
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSkyhopes

_________________
Go pioneers!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:38 pm 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
Confirmed the Browning M2HB in another thread (modeled and skinned a long time ago).

Note: Heavy machine guns will probably not be available right at the beginning, but are planned.

_________________
Alliance Developer, Sox34's not-so-secret identity, & NZG Central Command
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur." — Unknown Philosopher


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group