Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:28 am 
Staff Sergeant

I am hoping that Alliance might think about touching on the subject of the Rhodesian Bush Wars, because alot of modern day tactics where developed during those conflicts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 pm 
Private First Class

actually most modern day infantry tactics where developed in the Malayan Emergancy in the 50's by the SAS it even saw the very limated use of the EM2 in field trials. Jungle warfare was perfected in malaya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:54 am 
Private First Class

Quote:
aswell, the only US store that wont carry the mature games is walmart, they are the largest retailer in the world though so that does hold some weight.

But I seen Grand Theft Auto being sold there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:37 pm 
Corporal

American shops never stocked any games from Illusionsoft, they are a Czech company with no particular American distribution deal.

They have however just signed with Atari so their next game Enemy In Sight, a cold war tac shooter, should be better represented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:51 pm 
Recruit

All that aside, any jungle based war would be fantastic with this new game engine. I've so far been gob smacked by the beauty of the screenshots and videos of this game, and will look forward with relish to any scenario, however I do like jungle. With respect to Vietnam I bought virtually all of the games because i was at an impressionable age when the Vietnam war was at it's height, so those games have been my favorites. The most graphically interesting one to me was Men of Valor, but the most playable was Battlefield Vietnam, but i did like Vietcong. I've still to play VC2, but BF2 got in the way and it's been gathering dust on my shelves. Played online coop a few times, but with only three scenarios, it soon became boring.
Yeah give us some rich velvety jungles, whether it be Malay, Vietnam, Korea or the Phillipines and Africa, I don't care, just to hear the noise of the jungle is an experience. Please do some Jungle maps. lol

WR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Well maybe that was because of exactly what you stated: swearing and gore and stuff, not the war itself...

Regardless, it was a good game, and I don't doubt that the devs have something up their sleeves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:09 am 
Corporal

Junglemaps are cool, especialy if you could hide inthe vegetation. Someone said that Urbanmaps where liniare. I disagree. If you have a good big urban map where you can also enter the houses it isnt liniar at al. one moment your flanking an enemy gunnest. Then your clearing a building room by room. good for CQB. I like to see both. A good mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:31 am 
Recruit

Frederickkay wrote:
Junglemaps are cool, especialy if you could hide inthe vegetation. Someone said that Urbanmaps where liniare. I disagree. If you have a good big urban map where you can also enter the houses it isnt liniar at al. one moment your flanking an enemy gunnest. Then your clearing a building room by room. good for CQB. I like to see both. A good mix.

That's why I said above that Men of Valor was my favorite. All the urban maps were supported inside and out with respect to buildings. Made for some brilliant on line play. The major problem with MOV though was the ability to fillow who ever killed you around after your death, which made sniper hide outs useless, and then there was the problem of childishness online where you killed someone and they made it a mission to kill you as often as possible. Still It was a great game on and offline. Vietcong was also brilliant as was Battlefield Vietnam. I forgot to mention Conflict Vietnam, the third person shooter, which had some rich scenarios, and the ability to switch between your squad mates. However all this is off the point of the forum. Jungle maps are beautiful if they are done properly. After seeing the screen shots and videos, I think that jungle warfare represented in FPS will be the next generation with the alliance engine. The past year I've spent playing BF2 which has a lot of merits, but it's jungle maps suck. There isn't the objects to create the right atmosphere, whereas playing Men of Valor.....no comparison. I know the Alliance maps will knock the socks off all present day FPS. I'd better start saving for upgrades as my lowly 2.4 GHz cpu and ATI 9800 AIW 128Mb graphics card will in no way cope with this game. Oh yeah and not forgetting a new PSU and probably a new motherboard as well, lol

Please please please do some jungle scenarios from around the world. you'll see differences between the SEAsian jungles and African jungles as well as the South American jungles, and island based jungles have a different atmosphere as well.

I'm really looking forwards to this game.....put me in a time warp so that I can start now, hehe.

WR