Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:29 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:54 pm 
Private First Class

keep one thing in mind, history is writhen by the counties that think they won a war, all history has a "color". as I've sad history isn't objective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:41 pm 
Corporal

Fuijn wrote:
keep one thing in mind, history is writhen by the counties that think they won a war, all history has a "color". as I've sad history isn't objective.

History is written by people many years after the event. It is written by objective historians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:08 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

the victorys right the history books thats why you don't hear about all the bad things the guys who won the war did to win it :roll:

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 am 
Private

Muhler wrote:
Fuijn wrote:

History is written by people many years after the event. It is written by objective historians.

No offense but that is very naïve to say. There is no such a thing as objective opinion. Every opinion is influenced by something and it is not always the truth. It is same with history.
Winners and powerful write/recreate history to their likes. Always was – always will be.

SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:57 pm 
Corporal

Steppenwolf wrote:
Muhler wrote:
Fuijn wrote:

No offense but that is very naïve to say. There is no such a thing as objective opinion. Every opinion is influenced by something and it is not always the truth. It is same with history.
Winners and powerful write/recreate history to their likes. Always was – always will be.

SW

I disagree, but thats for another thread. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 am 
Private

Muhler wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Muhler wrote:
Fuijn wrote:

SW

:D I respect your opinion but also I am basing mine on first hand real life experience. Truth always comes in different form/flavor depending on what side one can hear it from… Power and media control was never more important than it is case in nowadays. In addition, "media freedom" is very good joke. Sadly, most people tend to believe in "media freedom" but as you said; that is perhaps something for another thread, time and place.

All the best,

SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:46 pm 
Corporal

Steppenwolf wrote:
Muhler wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Muhler wrote:
Fuijn wrote:

SW

:D I respect your opinion but also I am basing mine on first hand real life experience. Truth always comes in different form/flavor depending on what side one can hear it from… Power and media control was never more important than it is case in nowadays. In addition, "media freedom" is very good joke. Sadly, most people tend to believe in "media freedom" but as you said; that is perhaps something for another thread, time and place.

All the best,

SW

While thats true it is the job of the historian to take things from as many points of view as possible and get as close to the truth as he or she can. This relies on much more than the media. The only thing the media is (or atleast should be) used for is to gauge what people back then thought, or were exposed to. For the more serious studies private papers and official documents play a much greater role.

Maybe I should create a thread in the messhall eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:23 pm 
Four Star General

Split it from the Communist Revolutions thread. It relates directly to our interpretation of history, so unless it turns into a flame war it probably best fits in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm 
Corporal

Sox34 wrote:
Split it from the Communist Revolutions thread. It relates directly to our interpretation of history, so unless it turns into a flame war it probably best fits in this forum.

Thank you Sox. Its been a good debate thus far and I wouldnt expect flames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:41 am 
Corporal

Muhler wrote:

While thats true it is the job of the historian to take things from as many points of view as possible and get as close to the truth as he or she can. This relies on much more than the media. The only thing the media is (or atleast should be) used for is to gauge what people back then thought, or were exposed to. For the more serious studies private papers and official documents play a much greater role.

Maybe I should create a thread in the messhall eh?

The job of the historian is whatever the person paying him says it is. Tacitus is a great example of a classical historian with a bias.

There is also a large difference between academic history and domestic history. Most of our concepts of recent history for example are gleaned from entertainment shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:54 am 
Corporal

baff wrote:
The job of the historian is whatever the person paying him says it is. Tacitus is a great example of a classical historian with a bias.

There is also a large difference between academic history and domestic history. Most of our concepts of recent history for example are gleaned from entertainment shows.

That is the job of a bad historian working for someone and writing biased tripe. Good historians usualy work for themselves or a Uni and write books.

It is true that there is a large gap between adacemic history and what I call "pop" history. Too many people get their history from the History channel or movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Well, there is no freedom of make history to apare in different and clearer views for humankind... Freelance historians have been jailed for written down in their own history books or more even sience books... That the holycoust never happend in Hitlers Germany and this all is just a tactical play from jews and MEDIA...

If you say that the jews have a deeper meaning to been killed by Germans in 1942... And it have all beeing a media play for your eyes...

You can be jailed for it... Is that freedom of explore the real history...

ANSWER = NO...

Can you read about it ?

ANSWER = EVEN MORE NO... THEN YOU A NUTCASE...

Can this historians have right about what they say ?

ANSWER = NO... MEDIA HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY WHATS RIGHT TO SAY...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:09 pm 
Corporal

IceBallz wrote:
Well, there is no freedom of make history to apare in different and clearer views for humankind... Freelance historians have been jailed for written down in their own history books or more even sience books... That the holycoust never happend in Hitlers Germany and this all is just a tactical play from jews and MEDIA...

If you say that the jews have a deeper meaning to been killed by Germans in 1942... And it have all beeing a media play for your eyes...

ANSWER = NO...

Can you read about it ?

Im not sure what you're saying here. It is true that in some areas people are limited as to what can or cannot be said. That is not the case here in the US fortunatly. Those that deny the Holocaust should be allowed to say what they want so that we can debunk them.

I can't make out what you mean by the second part at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Muhler wrote:
IceBallz wrote:

ANSWER = NO...

Can you read about it ?

Im not sure what you're saying here. It is true that in some areas people are limited as to what can or cannot be said. That is not the case here in the US fortunatly. Those that deny the Holocaust should be allowed to say what they want so that we can debunk them.

I can't make out what you mean by the second part at all.

Well i mean that the history is best... When you can read it betwin the lines...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:18 pm 
Private

Speaking as a student currently working towards a Ph.D in history, I feel I can safely say that objectivism in any historical work is something of a myth, but that this has little to do with the intent of the author. One can go on and on about how you can't trust historians because "history is written by the victor" or that some historians push a particular thesis because of external pressure, but the truth is that even if you were to disregard all external pressures that might operate upon the historian (such as political, social, or economic pressure), it would be impossible to create an impartial history since the primary-source documents from a given time period are limited and may reflect biases themselves, and moreover any presentation of ideas constitutes an argument in some form or another as the historian's own conception and interpretation of external stimuli (primary sources or otherwise) is going to be unique, regardless of his own intentions of objectivity. The best you can do is to create a free market place of ideas in which all of these individual interpretations can be presented and argued so that individuals can come to their own consensus, which can itself be subject to criticism and improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:20 am 
2nd Lieutenant

talhoffer1 wrote:
Speaking as a student currently working towards a Ph.D in history, I feel I can safely say that objectivism in any historical work is something of a myth, but that this has little to do with the intent of the author. One can go on and on about how you can't trust historians because "history is written by the victor" or that some historians push a particular thesis because of external pressure, but the truth is that even if you were to disregard all external pressures that might operate upon the historian (such as political, social, or economic pressure), it would be impossible to create an impartial history since the primary-source documents from a given time period are limited and may reflect biases themselves, and moreover any presentation of ideas constitutes an argument in some form or another as the historian's own conception and interpretation of external stimuli (primary sources or otherwise) is going to be unique, regardless of his own intentions of objectivity. The best you can do is to create a free market place of ideas in which all of these individual interpretations can be presented and argued so that individuals can come to their own consensus, which can itself be subject to criticism and improvement.

dude you just made my eyes bleed and my head hurt

but i think i might understand what your saying

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:25 am 
Sergeant Major

talhoffer1 wrote:
The best you can do is to create a free market place of ideas in which all of these individual interpretations can be presented and argued so that individuals can come to their own consensus, which can itself be subject to criticism and improvement.

I find it sad and somewhat disturbing that I have had only a single history teacher (pre-college of course) who has embraced that ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:11 am 
Corporal

Objective history may be a fleeting goal, but it must be the goal historians strive for. Also, I agree that primary sources are biased, but it must be filtered as much as possible. That is part of the interpretation process in my opinion. From what I can tell, the "free market place of ideas" is alive and well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:44 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

ok i dident read all the stuff before mine, but no history isnt often writen by historians, its written by the victors. ever wonder why dresden brings no perk of ears like the london bombings would, ever wonder why NOBODY over here in our western world knows that stalin probably equaled hitler in a genocide count? well shhheeesh, thats because the criminals there were the victors, and btw, when you win a war, you erase all the nasty stuff you did, and point out all the bad stuff they did.

history itself might not be biased, however people who write it often are..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:46 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

From the view point of someoen else, inaccuracy is inherent to anyone's rendition of history.

History is subjective.