Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 pm 
Private First Class

When will Alliance break radio silence and start putting PR out? E3?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 pm 
Four Star General

Ok, some feedback for you guys -

Re: guns confirmed, the short answer is that we will eventually have every single military issue (and most non-) weapons from the 20th and 21st centuries. As many of you probably know, we're going multiplayer only at first, and this will afford us the ability to constantly update the WarStudio. This is one of the reasons why we don't do much confirmation on the gun thread anymore. Given a long enough time span, all guns shall be in :)

Re: updates/PR - we won't be hitting E3 this year- nothing substantial enough yet to show. We're building up our team and fleshing out a lot of multiplayer functionality right now. This means we don't have much in the ways of visual assets to show yet.

Re: Kickstarter (as we've heard a lot about it), we've been monitoring the action on there since Doublefine's success (actually even earlier). It doesn't make sense for us for a number of business reasons I can't really get into, but we may use that funnel at some point soon. We'll see within the next year as things develop.

Stick with us, folks, we're churning away!!
-A

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Thanks for the update.

As far as Kickstarter is concerned I would only use it as a last resort type scenario. Meaning you have the game 80% or at least feature complete and you just want to get a big push to finish it up by maybe outsourcing art creation or hiring a few extra people to get things finished up.

Anyway, at least hold off on a possible Kickstarter for a while, I'm currently waiting on another game to open their KS campaign soon. Need time to save up some funds if Alliance does it. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks nice, but it is worth noting that realism has it's ups and downs. For example, the weapon switching while it may have been captured from a real soldier (and is very authentic) doesn't strike me as particularly exciting. If ground branch set out to make a realistic sniping experience, it would most likely have you sitting around for long periods of time without much happening and that doesn't seem very fun either.

Out of curiosity, would having a round already in the chamber mean you have to charge the weapon after than round is spent? Its interesting how some games are presenting an alternative to the mainstream arcade experience, but when you increase realism, it seems like you also are dialing up the learning curve. That is to say, as you make the game closer to the real thing, the more about the real thing you have to know. While their might be some people who are well suited to this, there are others who aren't exactly so well

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm 
Sergeant First Class

#//neostyles.CD wrote:
Looks nice, but it is worth noting that realism has it's ups and downs. For example, the weapon switching while it may have been captured from a real soldier (and is very authentic) doesn't strike me as particularly exciting. If ground branch set out to make a realistic sniping experience, it would most likely have you sitting around for long periods of time without much happening and that doesn't seem very fun either.

Out of curiosity, would having a round already in the chamber mean you have to charge the weapon after than round is spent? Its interesting how some games are presenting an alternative to the mainstream arcade experience, but when you increase realism, it seems like you also are dialing up the learning curve. That is to say, as you make the game closer to the real thing, the more about the real thing you have to know. While their might be some people who are well suited to this, there are others who aren't exactly so well

If you want to know what Ground Branch is about, go here and read about the philosophy behind the game, they call it NORG. The animations for movement and weapon handling is done from motion capture using SOF operators with 20+ years experience. I think people have a misconception about realism based games can't be fun or as you said they have a high learning curve. A game like Ground Branch is more about what's between your ears than how fast you can click a mouse button. They are trying to create a game with inspiration for the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games. Both of which the founder of Blackfoot Studios had a large role in making while at RSE. Honestly there is too much to really go into here, but look at their website and forums.

To answer a bit more, no they are not making a simulator per se. They are trying to create a realistic interpretation of infantry combat with ballistics, weapon handling, weapon characteristics, movement, etc. How you play as a "sniper" (there are no classes in the game) is up to you. I've played some of the pre-alpha builds and even at this stage you can just tell right away things are modeled as they should be. Honestly this has been the type of game I have been waiting for since Ravenshield.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

The multiplayer section says its supposed to go big very soon. You guys are killing us. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

who must I kill to get access to an alpha build of groundbranch? From the info that is out on it, it definitely sounds like the type of game I have been waiting for...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Ground branch looks pretty cool yeah, but I dont know if I'll be able to run it. They seem like they're putting a lot of emphasis on accuracy, but it's worth noting that the the real thing doesn't always make for a fun game experience. For example, that reload cycle has the guy loading in the new magazine somewhere offscreen and the gun. It feels a little static imo.

It seems to be saying that non tactical fps games are somehow "broken." I personally enjoy a wide variety of shooters. I think Bad Company 2 struck a nice balance between realism and fun factor. Little things like bullet drop helped to keep the game from feeling too arcadey.

Alliance is much more my style I think. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

struck a balance?

I think that those reload anims arent completely done yet afaik, I do like the randomized sounds as well as multiple takes though. Hearing the EXACT same reload and firing noises do get a bit old.

As to bfbc2 though, the weapons are the biggest lack luster example of realism in that game. A 7.62x51 from one weapon does 1/3 of the damage of that exact same bullet from a different gun. So instead of properly representing the differences in the weapons ( IE long guns dont work well indoors ), or heavy weapons being unweildy in cqb they just nerf damages. That part ticks me off the most, why not reward people for making smart decisions, or if they really feel confident that they want/need an mg3 indoors let them have the full damage weapon with the REAL downsides of such a weapon, not come along like a friggen nanny and nerf it for you.
One of the biggest err's in the nerf pattern is how sniper rifles end up doing so much damage that the idea of quick scoping is invented, it just goes to show how messed up this contrived sense of balance really is.

Its a completely different paradigm and way of thinking of the game, I know my opinions may not be the most popular here but I think that if the 'norg' idea, ( which I was a proponent of before hearing of blackfoot studious; just using their name ) would catch on like wildfire if it were done properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:13 am 
Four Star General

Quote:
One of the biggest err's in the nerf pattern is how sniper rifles end up doing so much damage that the idea of quick scoping is invented, it just goes to show how messed up this contrived sense of balance really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAal ... ed&t=2m28s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:43 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
who must I kill to get access to an alpha build of groundbranch? From the info that is out on it, it definitely sounds like the type of game I have been waiting for...

Some of are allowed to test the alpha builds because we had donated to BFS a while back, well before the Kickstarter campaign.

#//neostyles.CD wrote:
Ground branch looks pretty cool yeah, but I dont know if I'll be able to run it. They seem like they're putting a lot of emphasis on accuracy, but it's worth noting that the the real thing doesn't always make for a fun game experience. For example, that reload cycle has the guy loading in the new magazine somewhere offscreen and the gun. It feels a little static imo.

It seems to be saying that non tactical fps games are somehow "broken." I personally enjoy a wide variety of shooters. I think Bad Company 2 struck a nice balance between realism and fun factor. Little things like bullet drop helped to keep the game from feeling too arcadey.

Alliance is much more my style I think. :)

Yes, they have a very heavy emphasis on accuracy. Animations are from motion capture of a SOF operator. There's never been another game that has remotely captured the "real thing" as it relates to infantry combat. The Infiltration mod that came out 12 years ago came close. Just from playing the alpha builds, movement is fluid and natural. It's "feels" amazing and that stuff hasn't even been polished yet.

There was absolutely nothing "realistic" about BC2. The bullet drop was horribly done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

AllianceAsi wrote:
Quote:

I will choose to interpret your musical response to mean that I am shining light on this glaring error in video gaming :mrgreen:

Also Athenian, any chance of just a regular donation to BFS? I would have joined the kickstarter campaign but that required some amazon account, if I could just throw money with paypal I'd be all over it. ( I'd easily go in for 100$ as well ).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
AllianceAsi wrote:
Quote:

I will choose to interpret your musical response to mean that I am shining light on this glaring error in video gaming :mrgreen:

Also Athenian, any chance of just a regular donation to BFS? I would have joined the kickstarter campaign but that required some amazon account, if I could just throw money with paypal I'd be all over it. ( I'd easily go in for 100$ as well ).

Join the discussion(s) at their forums. Lots of info and good stuff. They are figuring out what the next step will be. Re-opening the direct donation option is on the table for the time being.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm 
Four Star General

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
AllianceAsi wrote:
Quote:

Yep!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

hmm ASI, you should take advantage of all the people throwing money at their screens for small return benefits. ( adds massive incentive )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 pm 
Four Star General

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
hmm ASI, you should take advantage of all the people throwing money at their screens for small return benefits. ( adds massive incentive )

Maybe it's a week's worth of work done bearing down on me at this hour, but care to elaborate? (PM if necessary (?))

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:34 am 
2nd Lieutenant

hmm, rather tired now so instead of elaborating; did you see the GB kickbacks for their kickstarter? between certain ranges you got benefits like access to an alpha or a beta ( helps if you know exactly when these are going to be ); or for people giving more than a few thousand dollars there was an invite to a launch day bbq.

Everyone loves a good donation, but they are just throwing $$ at the screen for alpha / early build access/ some bone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:19 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Haha reading through some of my old questions from junior year of high school and I can't help but smile. xD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:35 pm 
Private First Class

I know you guys are busy with life and work etc. but when you have people anticipating a game they do like to have the occasional update on how its going and when to expect something even if its only once a month or every few months. I'm just saying that it's nice to know that the developers aren't dead and how the game is progressing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 pm 
Four Star General

ThePurpleWiggle wrote:
I know you guys are busy with life and work etc. but when you have people anticipating a game they do like to have the occasional update on how its going and when to expect something even if its only once a month or every few months. I'm just saying that it's nice to know that the developers aren't dead and how the game is progressing.

We currently have a very small alpha program taking shape.

Work is progressing at a steady clip, but as we're working on a lot of underlying systems (networking, accounts, etc.) there's not much in the way of eye candy to show at present.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next